Two versus Too

Last week I wrote about my need to declutter physical stuff. As I've been doing that, I've come up with the Rule of Two.

First of all, the Rule of Two implies that I have no more than two of anything. Of course there are obvious exceptions such as clothing, books, shoes, etc. And while I need more than two dinner plates, do I really need more than two Christmas platters? Yes I need more than two coffee mugs, but what about two water pitchers? Asking myself these questions has given me the freedom to let some things go, and enough cabinet space to clean off the kitchen counters.

Sometimes two is the perfect number. Sets of sheets, for example. Usually laundered sheets go back on the beds, but there are days when it's so much easier to make a bed with the second set and do the laundry later. My need for the occasional convenience outweighs the need for the storage space occupied by the extra sets.

Sometimes two is too many. Why have two small baskets on a counter, holding a few things, when one larger one will hold everything? Moving one to clean is easier and takes less time. And it looks less cluttered.

There are times when two cuts the work in half, and then there are times when two means twice as much work.  Part of the decluttering process for me is making the determination if something is two or too.  There is no formula. This principle looks different in every home.

I will never be a minimalist, but I do appreciate these words from Joshua Becker, “Minimalism is the intentional promotion of the things we most value and the removal of everything that distracts us from it.”

I'm done being overwhelmed and distracted by the stuff of life. I want everything in my home to have value. Having two sets of everyday dishes makes no sense for my small family, but my extra set of china does.  While it may seem excessive, seeing my mother's set alongside my own is priceless to me. 

Two, rather than too.

Comments

Camille said…
Yes, this is the very thing I am seeking to implement around here as well. i like the *two* versus *too* idea....that really helps! :) Hugs, Camille

Popular posts from this blog

Not Feeding the Frenzy

A Quiet Life

What I Learned During My Social Media Vacation